Sunset Boulevard Time

Thursday, November 19, 2009

It all went to hell Eighty-Five years ago today


Well, for a lot of people, but let us start with Thomas Harper Ince: see, The Chief was throwing a birthday party for Mr Ince on his boat "the Oneida". Lore has it that Marion had disappeared underdeck with perhaps Mr Chaplin for horizontal mambo-ing. The Chief, a jealous sort, went and got his gun and starting firing wildly and allegedly shot Ince in the process.

Such was the power of the Hearst press that the incident was spun very differently: Ince was overtaken with severe stomach cramps and was taken off the boat and driven home where he died. 'Course the fact that the chief had his body taken from the boat to the crematory sort of obviates that possibility. Ask Louella or ask Mother to ask Louella for you. A very entertaining book I would go see if I could find a used copy either at Larry Edmunds or Dragon Books<:

another good for larfs:
"written" by Marion Davies, who had something or another to do with Mr. Ince's passing.

2 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

Clifton, dearest - many apologies for my absence and do not believe what you heard about "Sybil Brand." Congrats on the new bungalow address. I will change my address cards immediately.

Clifton Guilaroff said...

I wasn't so concerned about the "sybil brand" part, it was the "institute" that was attached to it, lovey. Also, I am confused because Mother told me the story (after a bottle of Drambuie), so were you an inmate or a matron?